MAC Proenza Schouler Collection Swatches and Review

Friday, April 25, 2014

MAC's highly anticipated Proenza Schouler Collection is now available online and at your local MAC store counters.  I spotted this at Macy's last night and it seemed like everything was still available for purchase. Since I was pressed for time, I did a few quick swatches to share with you.


The collection consists of 2 blushes, 4 lipsticks, 4 nail polishes, 2 eyeliners, 2 lip liners, and a special packaging 129SE brush.



First up are the 4 nail polishes, which I did not swatch.  From left to right: Nocturnelle, Thimbleweed, Bougainvillea, and Dayflower.  These coordinate with the 4 lipstick shades.


Pink Fridge is a bright pink, Mangrove is a beautiful coral red, Woodrose is a beige nude, and Primrose is a berry plum.  I like the glossy finish of Woodrose and Primrose but Mangrove really caught my eyes.  This fiery coral-red shade is beautiful!


Here they are again under a different light.  Pink Fringe is the toughest to capture in the store.


Swatches of all 4 lipsticks.  See how bright, yet gorgeous Mangrove is? Although Primrose is dark in the tube, it is actually sheer and wearable if you lightly swipe it on your lips.  The below swatch is a couple of layers to show you the true color.



Below are swatches of the 2 eyeliners in Rich Experience (deep brown) and Black Ice (dark black).  Dynamo and High Energy lip pencils are bright and richly pigmented. They also glide on like butter! I wish they made a lipstick in the Dynamo shade. I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat.


Here are all the lip and eye product swatches together. 


Last but not least, the 2 ombre blushes in Ocean City and Sunset Beach. These remind me of Ombre blushes such as Ripe Peach and Azalea Blossom that were released back in 2010. I like the gradient color on these 2 blushes. You can use the upper half of Ocean City as a bronzer and the bottom half as a blush.  Sunset Beach, on the other hand, are both blushes.


When I first tried to swatch these blushes, I used the 129SE brush that came with the collection.  I have to tell you, I swiped once, twice, three times, and literally no color came out on my wrist. I was baffled.  I thought it was a tester issue so I went back this time and used my fingers for the swatch.  This proved to be much better.  The blush is quite pigmented and it doesn't take much to build up color.  I think it's better to use a denser brush to get the best experience with these blushes.


In different lighting, which I think is a better representation of these colors on my NC25-30 skintone. Sunset Beach is undoubtedly a cool tone pink that I know I will have a difficult time pulling off.  Ocean City is a beautiful peachy coral that will be nice on warm skintones.


Overall, Proenza Schouler Collection is quite nice although the packaging isn't particularly exciting. All of the products have the right amount of pigmentation and texture so there are really no "duds". Personally I'm not excited about any of the items because I do feel that they are dupable. However, this is from a beauty blogger's point of view, where I have seen and own a lot of similar shades. If you're new to MAC or makeup altogether, this is a good collection to check out. For long time MAC fans and collectors, I'm sure you already have the goodies in your shopping bag!

What caught your eyes from this collection?

1 comments:

makeup magpie said...

Thank you for the great swatches! I picked up the nude nail polish and Pink Fringe lipstick :) I love the blushes, but still have MAC's ombre blushes that were released in the past.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!