Chanel Les Expressions de Chanel Collection Swatches and Review

Friday, August 10, 2012

While I was in Asia, all of the Chanel counters had a beautiful display of the newest collection, Chanel Les Expressions de Chanel 2012.  I was very tempted to take a picture but the SA was watching me like a hawk.  Nevertheless, I did manage to sneak in a couple of photos to share with you.  This collection is not yet available in the US and I'm not sure when it will be released.


The collection has 3 eyeshadow quads - Intuition, Variation, and Spices.  Intuition is new and paired with Vision Illusion D'ombre. Variation is very different from the old Variation quad that was available back in 2007.  This is paired with Illusoire. The Spices Quad is paired with Abstraction Illusion D'ombre. Although I've read the 3rd quad should be Eclosion, all the counters I visited had Spices on the displays.



The Variation Quad has a deep eggplant, glittery plum, silver-taupe, and light pink.  I was fond of the silver taupe shade but found the quad too glittery for my liking.


From the swatch, I believe the Chanel Spices Quad is part of the permanent line. This has a lovely mixture of pink, peach, light coral, and brown shades.

Since Illusoire is part of the permanent range, I only swatch Abstraction and Vision Illusion D'ombre. Personally, I am not a fan of Vision.  This was very sheer and took lots of layers to build up the gold color.  It was also clumpy and did not apply evenly.  Abstraction on the other hand is super smooth and pigmented. It is a duochrome color of pink and gold, which is much prettier in real life.


Out of the entire collection, I only picked up Intuition Eyeshadow Quad.


Oh how it sparkles in the sun!


In natural lighting:


Intuition has a soft shimmery pink, gold, chocolate brown, and deep brown with silver shimmers.


This quad can be applied both dry or wet. When used dry, the gold shade is not as vibrant and will take several layers to show up.  However it is much more pigmented when it is wet.


Despite looking glittery, I experienced no shimmer fallout during application.  Everything went on quite smoothly with the exception of the gold shade.


Intuition's colors are not particularly unique or earth shattering but they are beautiful and chic.  I love using this for work as well as a night out on the town.  You really can't go wrong with these neutral shades.  For those who are iffy and can't decide between this and the new Rives Quad from the Fleur de Lotus Collection, my recommendation is Rives. It is hands down one of the smoothest baked formula eyeshadow quads I have purchased to date from Chanel.

Bottom Line: Chanel Les Expressions de Chanel Collection has quite a few options for you to choose from.  All of the eyeshadow quads are in the baked formula, which tends to have at least 1-2 sheerer shades.  I thought Intuition was the best out of the 3 but Variation is pretty nice as well.  I hope this collection will come to the US some time later this year.  For those in Asia, this is already released at all Chanel counters.

What do you have your eyes on? Which quad appealed to you most?

13 comments:

Lucy said...

the minute I swatched Abstraction on my arm I had to get it... it's just so pretty... Intuition quad is lovely, excellent choice :)

Polarbelle said...

Intuition is beautiful. *drool* I love the sparkly taupe. Thanks for providing the wet and dry and different angle pictures. It really helps to see it.

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

I like the baked formula. Beautiful colors. Looks like quality shadows.

memoiselle said...

I love abstraction a lot. Sadly Chanel quad does not attract me because of its pigmentation. I prefer Chanel duos or singles :)

JoanneP @ The Convenient Beauty said...

Oh wow, thanks so much for the swatches! All three are stunning! I think I'll go with Intuition if they ever come to the US.

Shadowy Lady said...

This collection has been available in Canada for a few months so I picked up Vision i/o. I actually like that it's sheer coz I layer it over my powder gold shades. I wanted to get one of the quads but I dont like the baked formula (which we get here in Canada too). I only buy Chanel quads when I'm in the US.

Jacqueline said...

I bought Abstraction but skipped Vision for the same reasons. I agree that Abstraction is really pretty, t adds that little bit of colour to an otherwise plain neutral day look. I stopped buying the Chanel quads mainly because I hear the pigmentation isn't that fantastic but I do love the duos.

blondycandy said...

I have Intuition in American unbaked version and the colors are different. There are two different quads. I reviewed it and was shocked. It's pink and gray pearl shimmer, brownish taupe and purple satin.
Thank you for great review and swatches!

Anonymous said...

Intuition appears to be very close to Tentation Cuivree, an eye quad released with a holiday collection some years ago. It too had the baked, European formula. What do you think?

sunnyItaly said...

this collection was available in europe in spring/summer and still is as it's part of the permanent collection. variation is shimmery but not glittery once applied to eyes. the effect on the hand is really quite different. very wearable and not too "visible" for everyday wear. so if you take a trip to europe you will find it at any chanel counter.

Eden-Avalon said...

I liked the Spices quad best, definitely.

FashionFreak/Mihaela said...

Great post! I really love your blog :)

flower power♥blog
bookface page

I would really appreciate if you would check out my facebook page and I'd love to follow you if you do the same for me^^

resham said...

lovely colors and I must say you took great pictures in store... :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!