Ombres Perlees De Chanel Swatches and Review

Saturday, December 25, 2010

The star and most talked about product (besides Black Pearl n/p) of Chanel's Spring 2011 Collection is Ombres Perlees De Chanel Palette.  It has been rumored to be a cream shadow quint but I can assure you it is not.  Ombres Perlees De Chanel is not just your usual powder eyeshadow palette but a chameleon and a definite star in its own right. The palette comes in Chanel's usual black glossy case with the logo on top, a mirror, and two sponge applicators.  There is also a plastic cover on top to protect the eyeshadows from dust.  This retails for $65USD and can be found on Chanel's website.



Now I'll be completely honest, I nearly went insane trying to capture photos of this quint.  Why you ask? Simply because it looks different with each angle change.  I have never seen eyeshadows from any other brand that have the ability to reflect light like this one.  Read on and you'll see what I mean.


 I first used my DSLR camera to take pictures of the quint indoors with flash as seen in the 2 pictures above.  Surely I thought I was done.  However, the curious little me decided to see how it looks in direct sunlight. That's when I got in big trouble and realized there's more than meets the eye from this quint.




Ridiculous isn't it?  As if the quint isn't gorgeous enough, it has multi-dimension sheen that reflects at a turn of an angle.  The five colors in the quint are Blanc Perle, Rose Porcelaine, Violine Clair, Gris Vert and Gris Noir.

Here you can see the shimmer bits in different colors immersed within each eyeshadow.  The dark black ( Gris Noir) and olive green (Gris Vert) have green, pink, violet and silver shimmers. 


Here again in direct sunlight, the beige becomes a white and the eggplant color is seen as violet.


In another angle, I see this quint turning pastel and you can see the shimmer bits even better here.


Yet another dimension.  Surely I thought I was going insane at this point!


So you're probably wondering, what is the true color of this quint?  I can tell you that they all are depending on which angle you look at it.  It is much darker and more intense indoors, medium in direct sunlight, pastel with a little tilt, and completely different in sunset lighting. Are you confused or intrigued now? I sure hope the answer's intrigued!

Although this quint is such a chameleon in the pan, it's much more direct on the skin.  The colors are clearly cream, light peach, violet, khaki green, and black with multi-color shimmer.

These are swatch dry without flash:


Swatch dry with flash:


The colors are definitely not as intense as shown in the pan but they are not all that sheer either.  The peach color is the best in terms of pigmentation and smoothness.  I find the darker colors take a bit more work to build up color intensity.  The shimmer is evident in all 5 colors but not gritty or chunky.  I also didn't experience any fall out even without a base.

Those looking for a bit more pigmentation can use this quint wet.  The colors are more intense and much darker as shown below:


Taken with flash:


Overall, this quint is nothing like I've seen before from Chanel and is a definite must have.  The colors are soft and shimmery on the eyes like most Chanel Quads.  What's so special about this quint is the way it reflect light and the soft texture of each eyeshadow.  Again, if you're looking for a bold look, this will not be what you're looking for.  I would say light, classy, and simple would be the right words to describe the effects this quint will provide.  The peach color alone looks very pretty on my lids whereas the darker shades need to be paired over a base/paint pot for more intensity.  Bottom line, this is limited edition, unless you want to bid on it on Ebay, I suggest picking it up before it's all gone.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

wow! this looks amazing! i thought i was looking at 4 different quads when i was scrolling through the pictures! haha i want to see this in person now! thanks for the beautiful pictures!

luv2smilexo said...

o man those pictures are amazing!! I swatched this today and I agree that it is a must have. Truly unique and beautiful

Makeup Magpie said...

Very pretty! Thanks for the great photos and review. I have been thinking about getting this and every review I've seen has been positive, so I think I may need to get this one before it's too late! :)

mookxi.com said...

Wowowow ! Thanks for ALL the many photos with the different angles and lighting conditions -- you really go above and beyond for your readers ! ;-DD I guess another solution is to see to go check it out for myself haha. It really loves so gorgeous the colours. I've always been browsing thru your site and I love all your photos ;-D

Kristie said...

Jenny - np! Definitely check it out in person. It's really beautiful.

luv2smilexo - yay. Did you end up taking one home?

Makeup Magpie - Definitely! I can see this being sold out first.

mookxi.com - Thank you. You're so kind. If you have a chance, do check it out in person. It really is that gorgeous.

Stephanie said...

I love how much effort your put into this post! By far the best ever! I'm so getting my hands on this if I can.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the detailed review, its really informative.

i bought the quint and really love the color, but i have problems getting the color intensity on my eyes! is there any better way to apply those shadows besides using the fingers? bcuz i really dont like to dig out the product with fingers, but if i use brush, it cant seem to pick up any color. if i cant find a solution to this, i will have to return it but i really like this quint. so do you have any suggestions?

thank you so much!

Kristie said...

Hi Anon - I find the best way to use the quint is to layer it on top of a base or wet. Try using a MAC 239 brush and pat, not sweep the colors onto your lids. For even more intensity, spray your brush with water or MAC Fix+ and pat the colors. This should help make it less sheer. Please do keep in mind the quint colors are meant to be sheerer and more of a reflection of light rather than solid bright colors. However, it shouldn't be so sheer you can't see them at all. Hope that helps!

BEAUTIFULL said...

need this in my life!!

lovely post!

xx

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!