MAC Cham Pale Swatches and Review

Sunday, December 19, 2010


MAC's Cham Pale Collection is set to launch next week on 12/26, the day after Christmas.  Luckily the local MAC counter has some testers out for me to share swatches with you. Please note there is 1 paint pot and all of the lipsticks missing since they weren't available today.  I'll update the post once the collection officially launches. This collection is definitely not for color lovers since the emphasis is on soft neutral tones with lots and lots of shimmer.

With flash: 

Without flash, in direct sunlight:



Caviar Dreams Eyeshadow Quad 
       Cavier Dreams is a brown grey with glittery flecks.  This is a lustre finish and you know my feelings about those.  Chunky, flaky, and tons of fall out. 
       Et Tu, Bouquet is a re-promote from the Rose Romance Collection.  It is a light pink with shimmer that's also in the lustre formula.  I like the color but not the fallout.
       Retrospeck is a light brown/golden color that's in the lustre formula as well.  It's a permanent color.
       Brule is a satin finish light cream color that's great for highlighting the brow bone.  I really love this color and use it almost daily.  This is part of the permanent collection.

If you don't mind lustre formula eyeshadows and like Caviar Dreams, do pick up the quad since Brule and Retrospeck are permanents at $14.50USD.  This quad would save you some $$ as you'd be paying $6USD for each eyeshadow.


With flash:

Lipgelee
   Luxure is a cream color with pink and silver shimmer. 
   Straight to the Head is a brown with pink and silver shimmer.
   Sin-tillation is a pearl white with pink and blue icy shimmer.  At first glance, it looks similar to Luxure but this is much cooler and has different color shimmer bits.
   Bubble Lounge is a peachy pink with silver and pink shimmer. 

Tinted Lip Conditioner with Lavender
    Calm Mode is a soft pink that's a MLBB color.  I reminds me of Pink Fish from Hello Kitty but slightly sheerer.  This doesn't quite smell like lavender or mint to me. It was a strange smell that's tough to describe.

Eye Kohl
     I Get No Kick is a champagne eye kohl that would be great to highlight the inner corners of the eye.
     Feline is a dark black kohl that has been re-promoted many times.  I like this but it does smudge after several hours of wear so it's not particularly my favorite like it is for others.

Here are the swatches again in direct sunlight:


It is difficult to capture the subtle shimmer differences in each lipglee so here are how they look a bit blurred. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what to expect in terms of shimmer color differences.  In all honesty, all 4 lipglees are incredibly gorgeous in real life swatches.


Special Reserve Highlight Powder
    Chez Chez Lam is a golden color with slight shimmer. This is best used to highlight the cheekbones.  It is incredibly similar to the Too Chic Beauty Powder from Stylishly Yours.  When I swatch them next to each other, I couldn't tell the difference.
    Rose Ole is a light pink with golden shimmer. This color would be best for those with lighter skin tones.  I don't think it'll show up on medium to dark skin tones.  I tried this on myself but could barely see the pink.  The color is so soft and rather muted on the cheeks. 

Taken with flash:


In direct sunlight:


Paint Pots
   Chilled on Ice was missing from the testers.  Will update with swatch later.
   Dangerous Cuvee is a grey/gunmetal with silver shimmer. 
   Let Me Pop is a light mauve with silver shimmer.
   Vintage Selection is a peach with golden shimmer.


The paint pots confused me the most out of the entire collection.  At first glance from the swatches that have been popping up on other blogs, they look very sheer.  When I swatch them, they feel very creamy, soft to the touch, and was super gorgeous.  However after they dried down a couple of minutes later, the glitter started to flake off.  When I swipe my finger across the swatch, the glitter pieces came off.  Think of these as lustre finish cream paint pots if you will.  I really do wish the texture would stay creamy as when I first applied them.  However, I will say these are not all that sheer and are definitely buildable.

Close up shots:


I would say the lipgelees are very beautiful and the standout of Cham Pale if you like glittery lipglosses. I fell in love with them from the first swatch..BUT..once applied on the lips, they look rather patchy.  In the mall lighting, I get this shimmery subtle look but in outdoor lighting, it was a hot mess. Imagine your lips with tons of glitter that's not at all subtle but in-your-face dotty glitter.  I went from "OMG I love it" to "whoa whoa never doing that again".  Of course this is a personal preference since I'm more of a subtle shimmer gal, not so much a disco ball glitter gloss type.

The quad is a definite pass for me as well as the highlighters. I tried both highlighters on my cheeks but the effect was so muted I couldn't really tell the difference.  These are also slightly powdery.  Fix+ did smell really good so if you're a fan, you should pick one up.  The Comfort Cream's texture is much thicker compared to moisturelush and the Lightful cream.

Overall, the collection is gorgeous at first glance but turned out to be disappointing for me.  I still ended up with my original 2 lemmings even after seeing it in person.  If you're a fan of shimmer, pale, glittery colors, this is definitely for you!

Top Picks: Calm Mode TLC and I Get No Kick Eye Kohl.


What's on your list for Cham Pale so far?

14 comments:

Popcorn said...

hmmm i don't think i really like anything from this collection... the colors are like you said, kinda disappointing :(
i was hoping that Mac would come out with another peachy lipstick tehehe

Anyways, thanks for the swatches. They were really helpful.

Justine @ Productrater said...

the colours are pale and light, and despite being pale, I don't really dig any of these. Thanks for the swatches! :)

TiffanyMonet said...

Thank you for the swatches! I'm really like this collection! =)

xo T

Materialgirls23.blogspot.com

WillWorkForMakeup said...

Great swatches! I think Calm Mode is the only thing I'll be picking up from this collection. For once, I have self-control!

blushfully by cendana said...

I love these colors hahaha... so I can imagine myself picking a product or two when it comes out in January in Australia =) thanks for the swatch!

MissA* said...

Thanks for the swatches! I'm gonna skip this collection for sure. I've Brule, it's my favourite everyday highlight e/s.

Makeup Magpie said...

I love the look of this collection, but am not sure if there is anything unique enough to justify purchase. All of the products sure do look very pretty, though. Guess I'll have to try them on in-store to decide :)

Diane said...

I love the swatches for the paint pots, I thought those and the highlighter powders would be the items I get. Do you think the paint pots are worth getting? So the highlighters aren't great huh? It's going to be hard for me to turn those down.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great swatches! Is there any chance you could swatch Chez Chez Lame next to Too Chic BP? If you had to choose one which would it be for NC30 skin? Thanks!

the Honey B said...

Great swatches! I wasn't interested in this collection until i read your post- now i want the lip geles!

Kristie said...

Popcorn - Glad I was of help. Cham Pale is very light in color. You might like Stylishly Yours more if you're looking for bold shades.

Justine @ Productrater - np. The shades are definitely very light.

TiffanyMonet - yay! What are you planning to pick up?

WillWorkForMakeup - :) Calm Mode is also on my list as well. It's the one product that doesn't have any shimmmer.

blushfully by cendana - awesome. Let me know what you end up purchasing when it hits Australia.

MissA* - you and me both! I love Brule.

Makeup Magpie - Definitely try them out in person, especially the lipglees since they're so glittery.

Diane - you know, I love the way the paint pot felt at the beginning but I'm not digging the glitter fall out. These are similar to Jill Stuart's Jelly Eye but creamier and equally glittery. The highlighters are a tad powdery and it doesn't really give a "highlight" effect on my NC30 skintone. Maybe it'll be better for lighter tones. I'd say try it out in stores since swatches don't really give the full picture. HTH!

Anonymous - thanks! I can do the side by side swatches in a couple of days. When I did do them earlier, To Chic was much chalkier compared to Chez Chez Lame. For NC30 skin, I would go with Chez Chez Lame because the texture is better. However, in general both aren't all that flattering since they don't really highlight but rather muted my skin when I tried them on.

the Honey B - Lol I'm tempting you again! Which lipglee are you thinking of purchasing?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kristie! Really appreciate the recommendation for CCL. I am not into glitter, so I think I'll give this one a try and hope I'm not disappointed!

Ansa said...

I'm so confused on the paintpots. I think I want them but the mixed reviews have me doubting myself. haha. I love paintpots, but these do not sound like MAC's typical original paintpots. Thanks for the swatches. :)

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

I swatched this the other day at Nordstrom. I actually want a lot more than I originally thought after swatching the products. I definitely want the eye kohl as I think it will look gorgeous on the water line.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!